Les Vieilles Fontaines
In the locality named “La Fontaine” is a spring that used to supply water to the home of a noble family in Cornas. The wine named Les Vieilles Fontaines was first made by Alain Voge in 1988 on this superb granite terroir, enhanced by our oldest Syrah vines. Produced only in exceptional vintages, Les Vieilles Fontaines clearly shows the strong character of Cornas and the ethos of our work. The most recent vintages produced are 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2015. The 2010 vintage received a rating of 100/100 from Robert Parker-The Wine Advocate: a first for a Cornas wine.
This wine, produced solely in superb vintages, comes from a plot of vines aged 80 years old, planted on a magnificent granite terroir. The vines, with their roots set deep down, produce grapes of outstanding expression.
For the third year in a row, it was a hot and dry season, but less early than the two before. The hydric deficit and heats that blocked the maturities on some sensitive plots, have been compensated by two beautiful rains at the end of the season. Light powdery mildew pressure on all the vineyard. It should be noted that the historical terroir of Saint-Péray (old Marsanne vines on clay- limestone soils) shows excellent capabilities in heatwave conditions. The quality of harvest was very good at the end, normal quantities, and very beautiful juices after the winemaking.
OUR VINE GROWING AND WINEMAKING
• Organic certification for the vines and wine in the 2016 vintage and biodynamic methods used.
• Syrah vines trained and pruned in the Gobelet style and supported by stakes.
• Hand-picked harvests.
• Partial destemming with 30 % whole grapes.
• Fermentation with natural yeasts and maceration for several weeks in stainless steel vats, with daily cap-punching and pumping over.
• Maturation in 228-litre barrels for 24 months, with 15% to 20% new barrels.
• Amount of sulphite reduced: 25 mg/l total SO2 (100 mg/litre authorised in organic winemaking)
• Production: 3.500 bottles
• Ageing potential: 25 years
Deer in Sake-lees
Anne-Sophie Pic, Anne-Sophie Pic restaurant, Valence
2010 Vintage: “One of the few perfect Cornas wines I have ever tasted is the 2010 Cornas Les Vieilles Fontaines. Even better than it was last year from barrel, (…), it remains the most backward wine of this trio, boasting an extraordinary black/purple colour as well as a remarkable perfume of spring flowers, crushed rocks, lead pencil shavings, blueberry and blackberry liqueur, licorice and truffles. Deep, full-bodied, tannic and backward with everything perfectly integrated into its personality, this is a monumental Northern Rhone. Give it several years of bottle age and drink it over the following 25-30+ years.”
Robert M. Parker Jr. – Robert Parker, Wine Advocate (27/12/2012): 100/100