Fleur de Crussol
This wine was created in 1999 by Alain Voge with the friendly assistance of the late Daniel Denis, sommelier from the Lyon area and an expert representative of Rhone Valley wines. The Crussol mountain range, which gave its name to the wine, is extremely important for the Saint-Péray AOC, because it provides limestone elements essential for making fine white wines.
Organic and biodynamic methods are used for the entire domain.
Situated in the place of origin of the appellation above the village of Saint-Péray and aged 80 years, the vines are the oldest of the domain and of the appellation. This slope of granite mixed with limestone colluvium faces South-East. It stands opposite Château de Crussol and the mountain range of the same name.
One more early vintage (harvest started in the last week of August). A very rainy springtime from mid-May to mid-June, with a very heavy mildiou pressure on the St Péray marsannes, mobilized our teams 100% for the phytosanitary protection (organic and biodynamic). A very correct crop in the end, and a high-level vintage in the horizon, despite the uncommon heatwave during the harvesting…
OUR VINE GROWING AND WINEMAKING
• Organic certification for the vines and wine in the 2009 vintage and biodynamic methods used.
• Marsanne vines trained and pruned in the Gobelet style and supported by stakes.
• Hand-picked harvests.
• Winemaking using traditional yeasts, exclusively in 228-litre and 400-litre oak barrels, with 30% new oak.
• Maturation on fine lees for 16 months.
• Amount of sulphite reduced: 56 mg/l total SO2 (150 mg/litre authorised in organic winemaking).
• Production: 7.260 bottles / 134 magnums.
• Ageing potential: 10 years.
2018 Vintage: “The 2018 Saint-Péray Fleur de Crussol boasts layers of ripe, honeyed peach and pineapple flavors. It's full-bodied, round and fleshy, with a rich, silky, texture-laden finish underscored by hints of citrus rind. From 80-years-old Marsanne vines, it's another beauty.”
Joe Czerwinski - Robert Parker Wine Advocate (19/12/2019) : 93-95/100