This wine was created in 1999 by Alain Voge with the friendly assistance of the late Daniel Denis, sommelier from the Lyon area and an expert representative of Rhone Valley wines. The Crussol mountain range, which gave its name to the wine, is extremely important for the Saint-Péray AOC, because it provides limestone elements essential for making fine white wines.
Organic and biodynamic methods are used for the entire domain.
Situated in the place of origin of the appellation above the village of Saint-Péray and aged 80 years, the vines are the oldest of the domain and of the appellation. This slope of granite mixed with limestone colluvium faces South-East. It stands opposite Château de Crussol and the mountain range of the same name.
2016 was a standard vintage for our terroirs, with fine weather conditions, but it was a year that forced us to be extremely vigilant to watch out for any attack of fungal disease. Yields were good. An excellent summer followed by a marvellous late summer-early autumn allowed grapes to reach perfect ripeness for a relatively abundant harvest. Everything was well balanced; the wines are marked by elegance, while conveying the typical character of Cornas and Saint-Péray.
OUR VINE GROWING AND WINEMAKING
• Organic certification for the vines and wine in the 2009 vintage and biodynamic methods used.
• Marsanne vines trained and pruned in the Gobelet style and supported by stakes.
• Hand-picked harvests.
• Winemaking using traditional yeasts, exclusively in 228-litre and 400-litre oak barrels, with 30% new oak.
• Maturation on fine lees for 16 months.
• Amount of sulphite reduced: 56 mg/l total SO2 (150 mg/litre authorised in organic winemaking).
• Production: 7.020 bottles / 140 half-bottles.
• Ageing potential: 10 years.
2016 Vintage: “Reductive on the nose for now, but this should pass. lt’s pleasingly easy on the oak this year, with plenty of almond and red apple. Quietly powerful on the broad palate, with a firm, cool minerai streak that brings excellent freshness and structure. There’s plenty of silk texture too. This is their best in a long time.”
Matt Walls – Decanter (09/09/2017): 94/100